Re: az-el rotor cost

on 1/17/01 5:10 PM, Estes Wayne-W10191 at W10191@motorola.com wrote:

> Look for used Orbit 360 rotors.  Or buy a used Alliance U-100 or U-110 rotor
> which is slightly more powerful.  Any rotor will do for azimuth as long as the
> antennas are small.  The elevation rotor must be a design that allows you to
> run the mast through the middle of the rotor (such as U-100, U-110,
> Orbit-360).  With a little ingenuity you can have functional Az-El rotors for
> about 1/4 the price of the Yaesu G-5400 Az-El rotors.

There was a QST article a couple of years ago about using the Alliance Pass
Through rotors as elevation rotors.  The article included making a mount for
it and so forth.  I think it was December 1998 if I am not mistaken.
Anyhow, I followed the plans and it works great.  My rotor setup consists of
a large TV rotor for azimuth and an Alliance "pass thru" for elevation.
It's all manual, it's slow, but it cost me less than $50 to buy it all and
assemble!

73,

Jon
NA9D