Re: license privileges

Cut from
    http://www.arrl.org/news/restructuring/
Starting April 15, 2000, individuals who qualified for the Technician class
license
prior to March 21, 1987, will be able to upgrade to General class by providing
documentary proof to a Volunteer Examiner Coordinator, paying an application
fee, and completing FCC Form 605.

The FCC's decision not to automatically upgrade Novice and Tech Plus licensees
means the current Novice/Tech Plus HF subbands will remain and not be
"refarmed" to higher class licensees as the ARRL had proposed. The FCC said it
did
not refarm these subbands because there was "no consensus" within the amateur
community as to what to do with them.

As it had proposed earlier, the FCC decided to lump Technician and Tech Plus
licensees into a single licensee database,
all designated as "Technician" licensees. Those who can document having passed
the 5 WPM Morse code examination
will continue to have the current Tech Plus HF privileges. "If documentation is
needed to verify whether a licensee has
passed a telegraphy examination, we may request the documentation from that
licensee or the VECs," the FCC said.

Your better half will be OK if she had the license before 1987, I guess.

Regards
Richard W5SXD