Re: Fw: Rotator/Elevator controled using LAN?

Murray Peterson wrote :
> >    Has anyone tried or succeeded contoling a rotator/elevator unit by
> >connect it to a Local Area Network and asigning it an IP address?

Not that I am aware of , but it, like anything else could be done ;^)

> >    A standard LAN connection might be a good standard feature for
> >rotator/elevator manufactures to include in their units.
> >
> >What do you think?

Well , there is a few Coca-Cola machines on the internet , so why not a few
az/el rotors on your own home network ;^)
You could use an embedded Linux setup with a custom kernel and driver for the
rotor ( c'mon all you hackers you know this is easy ) and have a web interface
to control with and if you got real cleaver you could use a track ball for
control too :)

Hey , I like to dream too :)

Bruce Bostwick wrote :
>  Seriously, if you have a DSL or cable modem connection, a
> firewall would become an important part of the antenna system.

-Anyone- who has anything connected to the web through dsl or cable modem and
doesn't have adequate security (read firewall ) is just a glutton for punishment
, and besides , its so easy to just grab an old 486 box or pentium 75 machine
and turn it into firewall / masquerade box using Linux to share your internet
connection with .......

Really this is not a half bad idea for all amateur eqpt , and Icom came sorta
close by allowing multiple devices on the same serial line with different
addresses , now if we could just embed 10baseT chipsets and tcpip control/access
firmware into the thingees ......

like I said , I can dream ....

ok ,someone bring me down to earth now .....

Douglas Cole   N7BFS
AMSAT#26182 , K2 # 544
Spokane IRLP node 145.250 owner
Registered Linux user # 188922