Re: Fw: Rotator/Elevator controled using LAN?

I have written a bunch of software that controls
my rotators (and my radio tuning) over a network connection.
it includes a couple of servers that listen on TCP/IP ports for
commands, and translate and relay the commands to the computer's
serial ports , which are connected to the actual hardware.  The software
runs on a Unix workstation, but could be easily ported to Windows.
I could easily control my antennas over the Internet, if I felt like it.

But it would be really nice to have a simple, cheap microcontroller board
(16F84-style) that had an Ethernet interface.  A company called
Rabbit Semiconductor sells such a thing (along with the development
environment and TCP.IP software library), but it's not especially
cheap.  Check out:

Interestingly, those Ethernet controller chips that you see on
cheap PC networking cards only cost about $5 or so.  Thus, you
could put together a board with, for example, a 16F874, the Ethernet chip,
and the required glue bits for maybe $40.

The downside is that the TCP/IP software stack and the driver code for the
controller chip are not at all trivial.  But I bet they would be simpler
than a USB interface.  Plus, most of it may already exist...

At 05:25 PM 1/17/01 , you wrote:

> [...]

Do You Yahoo!?