Re: az-el rotor cost

>From: Estes Wayne-W10191 <W10191@motorola.com>
>To: amsat-bb@AMSAT.Org
>Subject: [amsat-bb] az-el rotor cost
>Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 17:10:09 -0600
>
>I sent this a couple days ago, but never saw it on amsat-bb-digest.
>
>Rip Smith wrote:
>
>when was the last time you priced az-el rotators?
>
>Wayne replies:
>
>It seems like almost everybody on this list bought a G-5400 Az-El rotor.
>But not all of us.  My Az-El rotors are "Orbit 360", TV antenna rotors
>which are now discontinued, but sold for about $45 each at my local home
>improvement store.  They are smaller and less powerful, but for 5 years
>they have been reliable for my VHF and UHF CP Yagis (10-foot booms with a
>7.5 foot fiberglass cross-boom).  The azimuth rotor was a bit flaky when I
>added a 10-meter turnstile for a short time to work SSB on RS-15.  And now
>I have a 2-element 50 MHz beam on top (azimuth only) which seems a bit hard
>on the azimuth rotor.  The rotor doesn't need to be very powerful if the
>antennas are small and the load is balanced in the elevation plane.
>
>Look for used Orbit 360 rotors.  Or buy a used Alliance U-100 or U-110
>rotor which is slightly more powerful.  Any rotor will do for azimuth as
>long as the antennas are small.  The elevation rotor must be a design that
>allows you to run the mast through the middle of the rotor (such as U-100,
>U-110, Orbit-360).  With a little ingenuity you can have functional Az-El
>rotors for about 1/4 the price of the Yaesu G-5400 Az-El rotors.
>
>Wayne Estes W9AE
>Mundelein, IL, USA
>----

Couldnt agree more.  I have a couple of TV elevation rotors in use here at
the House and they work pretty much as advertised turning pretty large
"arrays" (a 10 meter turnstile on top? wow!).  The trick is to have them
balanced.  My dishes are all elevated by tV sat dish actuators.  One is
rotated in azimuth by a HAM IV and the other two (including the new 30
footer) is by a garage door motor.

Works great.