Re: Fw: Rotator/Elevator controled using LAN?

>    Has anyone tried or succeeded contoling a rotator/elevator unit by
>connect it to a Local Area Network and asigning it an IP address? I have
>some 10 Base 2 (coaxial) ethernet cards and I am thinking whether they might
>be a great way of controling a rotator/elevator unit via a single length of
>RG58. It might be a great way of being able control the rotator/elevator
>unit from several different PCs or at least have several PCs able to read
>the position information.
>
>    A standard LAN connection might be a good standard feature for
>rotator/elevator manufactures to include in their units.
>
>What do you think?

I think if a cracker finds the IP address of your antenna and figures out
enough of the protocol, the results could be quite entertaining for the
neighbors.  ;-)  Seriously, if you have a DSL or cable modem connection, a
firewall would become an important part of the antenna system.

Aside from that, definitely a cool idea and could work well with tracking
software, especially for pointing multiple antennas at a specific sat like,
say, AO-40 ..

"Orthodoxy is orthodoxy because it won, not because it is true." -- Bp.
John Spong
 "Power takes as ingratitude the writhing of its victims." -- Rabindranath
Tagore
         Bruce Bostwick  mailto:lihan@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu