Re: Right-sizing a sat [was: Antennas on the bird]

on 1/15/01 9:59 PM, guy lemke at guy@com-pair.net wrote:

OOPS!  Forgot to comment on the rest.

> The next item would be what kind of transponders. I would think the following
> would
> be a good choice:
>
> 1.    mode A
>
> 2.    mode JA  (v/u)
>
> 3.    mode JS    (v/s)

Are you saying 3 birds each with different transponders or are you saying
one bird with three transponders?

I like your suggestions though.  That's pretty good.  Although, I'd almost
rather see a mode U/S bird than a V/S bird as this would attract people who
are more space limited.  My 70CM KLM has 40 elements and is less than 2/3
the size of my KLM 2M 22 element antenna.  With the type of altitude you are
suggesting, one could get by with perhaps a 16 element CP antenna on 70cm or
even perhaps smaller.

Great thinking!

73,

Jon