Re: Right-sizing a sat [was: Antennas on the bird]

on 1/15/01 9:59 PM, guy lemke at guy@com-pair.net wrote:

> In one of the replies is was said that the belt started around 1800 miles up.
> With harden components a sat should be able to survive pretty good at 1600 to
> 1700 miles up which should give a pretty good foot print and some where around
> 45 to 60 minutes of talk time..

I've had it confirmed that the first belt starts between 1500 and 2000 miles
or so.  This radiation belt is DEADLY for satellites from what I have heard.
I don't care if you "harden" things.

I think most satellites orbit below 1500 or so.  I believe the GPS birds are
around 1400 miles or so.  Any orbit as close as possible to the belts would
give a nice coverage and I'd love to see a couple of birds up there.

73,

Jon
NA9D

Jon Ogden