From: Edward Hall [mailto:wc0y@hotmail.com]
Sent: Monday, January 15, 2001 3:25 PM
To: na9d@mindspring.com; paul.willmott@omsl.bm
Cc: amsat-bb@AMSAT.Org
Subject: Re: [amsat-bb] New S Band Converter

I have been debating whether to choose VHF or 70cm as the IF for a converter

that I plan to build.  One consideration is noise from the image frequency.

This thread makes me think my concern is valid.

The higher noise level when using a VHF IF may be caused by higher noise
from its image frequency.  The image frequency is either 290 (2*145) MHz
removed from the desired 2401 signal for a VHF IF, or 870 (2*435) MHz
removed for a 70cm IF.  A non-filtered image passband can add 3dB to the
receive noise figure; worse if signals other that thermal noise are present
at the image frequency.

The amount of image suppression is mostly determined the design of the
front-end filters in the converter.  However, it is easier to suppress
signals 870 MHz away (36% of desired frequency) than 290 MHz away (12% of
desired frequency) from 2401 MHz.  Could this be why listening with a 70cm
receiver as an IF is observed to be queiter than when using a VHF receiver?

A second consideration for IF frequency is how the satellite transponders
will be used.  Will VHF or 70cm be the preferred uplink frequency?  If I use

a transmit upconverter for the L-Band transponder, will it be fed by the VHF

or 70cm transmitter?  I would prefer to have the output of the receive
converter on the band not used for transmit so that full-duplex will be
possible.  It looks like it might be a while before we know what up/down
combinations are possible.

Ward - WC0Y