Re: New S Band Converter

on 1/15/01 9:45 AM, paul.willmott@omsl.bm at paul.willmott@omsl.bm wrote:

> <--- the 70cm IF is a lot nicer to listen to, .... I have both 2m and 70cm
> units, ... 1 days test is not conclusive, but today's pass was very similar
> to a lot of other recent ones, I've never got above 50 CRCC A Blocks on an S
> band pass before, ... a few more passes will get a better picture.

Why is a 70CM IF better than a 2M IF?  I don't understand how one is quieter
over another.  You would think that it wouldn't matter.  Sure 2m is
"noisier" but you aren't listening to the 2m on the antenna, but its being
pumped directly from the downconverter.  You'd think 70cm might be worse
because you would have more insertion loss in your coax.

Perhaps I am missing something, but I am curious as to why the 70cm IF is
better.

73,

Jon
NA9D