RE: New S Band Converter

See body:

-----Original Message-----
From: Mike Murphree [mailto:n4cnw@knology.net]
Sent: Monday, January 15, 2001 11:22 AM
To: paul.willmott@omsl.bm
Subject: Re: [amsat-bb] New S Band Converter

On Mon, Jan 15, 2001 at 09:41:12AM -0400, paul.willmott@omsl.bm wrote:

> Forget my comments of yesterday about hiss, ... the 70cm IF is MUCH
quieter
> than the 2m IF, ... a pleasure to listen to.

One of the reasons I converted my Drake unit to 430 instead of 144.

> I think the combination of the G3RUH design 60cm dish + Down East premap
at
> feed + UEK3000SAT is excellent, ....

What kind of feed were you using?

<--- Helix feed, see URL below for full construction notes

http://www.amsat.org/amsat/articles/g3ruh/116.txt

diagrams:

http://www.amsat.org/amsat/articles/g3ruh/116fig01.gif

http://www.amsat.org/amsat/articles/g3ruh/116fig02.gif

Place to get dish blanks:

http://www.amsat.org/amsat/articles/g3ruh/116fig03.gif

> ... almost had a disaster though, just as I was about to save the data, my
> machine locked up, ... wouldn't read the mouse or keyboard, P3T still ran,
> but nothing would make Windows respond, .... hell, ... all that good data
> down the drain, ... well I did find a way to save it, ... I unplugged my
UPS
> from the wall socket, ... and after 20 minutes the UPS commanded my PC to
> close files and shutdown, ... lucky break, ... so all data now safely in
> archive.

I shut down FreeBSD on my dual boot system to load Win98 to erase some
CD-RW disks and backup Windows in the process. One disk needed a full
erase, so I picked the physical erase which was supposed to last 40
minutes. During this time, the HP app wouldn't respond at all, and
the task manager seemed to indicate it was dead as well.  The CD drive
was still flashing so I let it go and it did recover eventually. I see
similar things when Windows has a DNS query out that totally locks up
everything and is just plain annoying. I hadn't thought of the UPS
trick... will remember that in the future. At least with the other OS,
I can normally login from another machine and kill the offending
process if need be.

<----- The numlock, caps lock lights wouldn't work on the keyboard either,
... keyboard dead, ... windows was working, ... P3T was still capturing
blocks, ... it was a hairy moment.

Long time ago when you had the amsat.bm web site running, there were
a lot of links to programming information for different radios, etc.
Do you still have the stuff anywhere?

<--- I do still have the data on CD-R, ... what bits were you looking for,
... and don't say ALL <grin>!

73
Mike N4CNW