From: owner-AMSAT-BB@AMSAT.Org [mailto:owner-AMSAT-BB@AMSAT.Org]On
Behalf Of Jon Ogden
Sent: Monday, January 15, 2001 8:09 AM
To: guy lemke; amsat-bb@AMSAT.Org
Subject: Re: [amsat-bb] Right-sizing a sat [was: Antennas on the bird]

I could be wrong on the altitude of the belts.  I was trying to find out
what the exact altitudes are, but could not.  2500 miles may be too low.
know they've been mentioned on the bb before, but I just couldn't
remember
the exact height.  So don't quote me on it!

73,

Jon
NA9D

on 1/14/01 11:16 PM, guy lemke at guy@com-pair.net wrote:

> That may be true I don't know what the Alt. of the belt is but the
concept is
> good
> even if the Alt. that I suggested is bad...
>
> Jon Ogden wrote:
>
>> on 1/14/01 11:07 AM, guy lemke at guy@com-pair.net wrote:
>>
>>> I agree with the smaller birds... with an Alt. of some where around
>>> 2500 miles...A polar orbit with 4 birds spaced out over a 3 or 4
hours space
>>> would give really good coverage... I have a internet domain
>>> "WWW.HAMSATS.ORG"
>>> that I have not done any thing with yet but would be willing to
donate it
>>> towards a team (hopefully including myself) in
>>> putting together these birds and getting them up....
>>
>> I believe that the 1500 to 2500 mile range you suggest is smack dab
in the
>> middle of the Van Allen Radiation Belt.  Nothing survives there for
very
>> long.

Jon Ogden
NA9D (ex: KE9NA)