Re: Right-sizing a sat

on 1/15/01 3:58 AM, Hamish Moffatt at hamish@cloud.net.au wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 14, 2001 at 11:12:56PM -0600, Jon Ogden wrote:
>> Second, reducing ground station size is INCREDIBLY important to a great
>> number of hams.  These include:
>
> Interesting, Jon, that you acknowledge this, yet consider
> Phil Karn a "digital bigot" for suggesting a way to do it.

No, Hamish, my comments about Phil being a "digital bigot" where in regard
to his statement that we should basically do away with mode B and mode J all
together as well as analog voice.  That was what I reacted strongly to.

I have no problem with developing digital voice birds so long as we have
some analog birds up there as well.

The beautiful thing about AO-40's planned capabilities was that it could
satisfy nearly everyone:  Those who have traditional ground stations, those
who want to play on microwaves or are space limited, those who want to play
with advanced high speed digital stuff via RUDAK.

My problem comes in when people just flatly say we should abandon the most
popular modes of operation that the majority of people have equipment for in
favor of something new and as yet, untried in the amateur community.  To say
there is no room for the "old" modes is bigoted.

Sadly, I am afraid that unless another AO-40 type bird is built (and that
doesn't seem too likely right now), that the elimination of modes V/U will
come all too quickly.

73,

Jon
NA9D