Re: Right-sizing a sat

First of all, Robert, I agree with those who suggest you should go and build
your own satellite since you seem to know so much about what a good
satellite is.

Second, reducing ground station size is INCREDIBLY important to a great
number of hams.  These include:

  * Apartment dwellers
  * Mobile hams
  * Hams on DX-peditions
  * Hams with CCRs
  * etc.

Thirdly, the "complex" nature of AO-40 is NOT what has caused the problems.
All the microwave crap that was added in to the bird is NOT what caused the
failure.  The failure occured with an engine component that was a
COMMERCIALLY MADE, SPACE QUALIFIED component.  Imagine that!  It was space
qualified.  Should have worked properly, but it didn't.  It matters not how
much stuff is packed inside AO-40.  That stuff didn't cause the failure.

Additionally, we still don't know WHY the engine had the problems it had and
what has caused the leak.  For all we know it could have been a
micro-meteroite striking the craft (didn't we just get through the Leonids a
week or two before the "incident"?).

Again, since you seem to be such a space expert and since you have a
philosophy for building satellites, why don't you start building your own as
others have suggested and perhaps people will chip in and help out.

Jon
NA9D

on 1/14/01 10:32 PM, Robert Oler at cvn65vf94@msn.com wrote:

> I think the last sentence sums up our differences.  I dont view reducing
> ground station requirments much beyond AO-10 and 13 as a very important
> goal.  My suggestion is that the number of people it will bringto the
> satellites is trivial compared to the difficulties that it imposes on the
> satellite.
>
> I would rather have four Ao-10 birds OR two slightly larger birds then one
> superbird particularly one that probably wont live up to what its billing
> was.  I hope that I am wrong on the latter but.....

Jon Ogden
NA9D (ex: KE9NA)

Member:  ARRL, AMSAT, DXCC, NRA

http://www.qsl.net/ke9na