Re: Right-sizing a sat

platform for AO-40 (It sure was discussed as one), we just happened to ride
on Arianne 5, and we were NOT the biggest bird on the ride.

Okay here goes.  History has shown those who expect to fail generally do.
Let me explain (or ask my question as the case maybe).  What is the
prevailing mind set of "we will never be able to do something like that
again"?  This is like saying, well our first 386 computer wasn't a total
success, so I gues we will be using 286s forever.  If anything I hope the
next combined multinational AMSAT effort has more cool stuff, not less.  If
I am sure of anything it is that technology has yet to peak.  I am all in
favor of small sats, LEO sats, quick sats, and easy sats, but what is so bad
about about people getting together and making a big effort to build, launch
and operate a "show case" bird?  So we can't launch one every six weeks, big
deal.  IF AO-40 is deemed a unsuccessfull (I'm still thinking positive and
do not believe this will happen).  Let's learn our lessons, take our lumps
and move onward and upward not backward and downward.

My Opinion Alone,

Joe
ka0yos@amsat.org

<Lots snipped>
> But I bet you a dime to donuts that there are two realities in amateur
> satellites futures.  The first is that AO-40 isnt going to come anywhere
> near 100% of its sold capabilities.  The second is that we would have
never
> had the resources to do another AO-40 again no matter what had occurred
> here--and especially now.
>
> None of this is being critical of the command team but it does suggest
that
> some discussion should be had about where the future lies.
>
> Robert Oler WB5MZO Houston TX
<More Snipped>