RE: Right-sizing a sat

Since I get the BB in digest form, I'll try to do the same and maybe
conserve some bandwidth.

 >>Howard Long wrote:

>I think we're underestimating the fact that no-code ticket holders will be
>unable to operate modes V & I.
>
>The whole point of me taking up satellite operation about a year or so ago
>was that I could work that DX without having to bother with the code.

I was not saying that Modes V & I would be the only satellites. There's
still plenty of room (so far) in the sky for Mode B, JA, etc.

I gave up the philosophical discussion about code years ago and I will be
the first to say that the influx of no-code techs has added a lot of good
people to Amateur Radio. But as a practical matter, if the requirements of
satellite operation means that I have to buy expensive new radios and build
or buy new antennas, why should it be such a hardship to pass a 5 WPM code
test to get access to a new satellite?

 >>Rob Jansen wrote:

>Please consider that "difficulty" is not measured in terms of "what do
>I have on the shelf" or "does it cost $25 or less" for everyone.  There
>are also lots and lots of people where "difficulty" means "do I need
>a HF or 2M antenna" and who really like to use a small helix or 60cm dish.
>You should not forget that.

Everything is relative. What is expensive to me may be pocket change to
you. The question is not "$25 or less" but does it cost "$2,500 or less".

For me, a 10-meter dipole and a 2-meter "Shuttle Turnstile" (no longer
available from Cushcraft - a pity) in the attic is doable. A steerable
az-el array for any band is not doable due to antenna restrictions where I
live - never mind the cost. (when was the last time you priced az-el rotators?)

 >>Again, Rob Jansen wrote:

>I don's mind spending $100 on a MODE-S receive converter if that can
>help me overcome my antenna or QRM problems.  I don't call that "difficulty".
>People who complain that they can't spend that much money on accessing
>a new satellite probably have not really checked what their enitire station
>has cost them up to that time, and/or just have selected the wrong hobby
>to be in.

First of all, a $100 receive Mode-S receive converter is only the
beginning. (Having said that, I would like to know where I could get one
for only $100 - I might take the first step in spite of myself!)

But beyond that, this is an attitude that I have seen before that turns
newcomers away not only from satellite operations, but from Amateur Radio
in general.

The ultimate point is that if there is to be a viable Amateur Satellite
community, there needs to be a variety of birds and modes (including the
microwave modes) to serve a variety of needs, from beginners to advanced users.

73 de K3XO
Rip