Re: AO-40 S-Band Test

Jesse and All,

I copied the beacon this morning with a good strong signal.  It peaked my
S-meter (a really bad measurement) up to about 6.  The fast fading was very
pronounced - enough to make error free telemetry very difficult.  The doppler
'wobbulation' was also very pronounced.  At this time (Jan. 14, 2001 17:12
UTC) I am still able to here the satellite - barely above the noise.)  I am
using a Myers 24 dB linear polarization parabolic, a DEMI 13LNAK preamp at
the antenna, a DEMI down convertor, an ICOM 275H as the IF, and G3RUH modem.

Jesse, I think you will benefit from a good preamp mounted at the antenna.
Unfortunately AO-40 is pointed at a very poor angle and the signal is mostly
very weak.  I have not been able to copy good telemetry, just a few error
free blocks.

73's de Rich @ WC8J

----