Re: Right-sizing a sat [was: Antennas on the bird]

Hello Robert!

13 Jan 01 11:26, you wrote to All:

 RO> What it seems to me was the driver for AO-40 was lots of DX and with
 RO> not a lot of equipment.  Thats appliance operating.

My view of AO-40 was (besides trying out some new microwave bands) was lots of
DX without lots of antennas.  That's practical for some of us, where AO-10 and
the V/U bands aren't (try installing an AO-10 class station into a rented unit,
and not upsetting the landlord, of course ;) ).

And in my case, it's going to take a lot of homebrew to get L/S up and running.
If that's appliance operation, I'll eat my hat. :-)

As for what we could have, I think a mix of birds, including:

LEO pacsats and FM transponders - good for beginners
LEO linear birds (again, good for beginners, but more capacity and less
congestion)
Molniya birds (maybe V/U and L/S/higher bands).

Phil's digital constellation idea.  I feel we must make the transition to
digital sometime soon, or get left behind when it comes to radio technology.
Not something hams should be contemplating.

Tony, VK3JED

.. omputer keyboard sized down for use by children.