Re: Right-sizing a sat [was: Antennas on the bird]

On Sun, 14 Jan 2001, John Stephensen, KD6OZH wrote:

> The major cost redution in mode V is eliminating the directional antennas. A
> 70 cm uplink would eliminate the licensing problem.

Hummh.  What I meant to suggest was the major cost reduction in a
Mode-V satellite was in the elimination of  the need for a $1500 VHF or
UHF all-mode radio.  And to use in its place a $150 Radio Shack 10 meter
all mode...  The elimination of beam antennas, though, was also
important..

We hope to design one of these into a 4" cubesat such as is currently
being mentioned as a cheap way to space.  We are not saying that Mode-V is
for everyone.  With 30 cubesats per launch, there is more than enough room
to put everyone's favorite mode into space...  Just start building...

Thanks for reading it....

http://web.usna.navy.mil/~bruninga/mode-v.html
http://web.usna.navy.mil/~bruninga/cubesats.html

de WB4APR, Bob