Re: Right-sizing a sat

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Robert Oler" <cvn65vf94@msn.com>
> I'm not even just advocating easy sats.  There is nothing "easy" (or hard
> for that matter) about AO-10 even in its prime.  I am advocating less
> complex satellites but more of them in a wide variety of modes.  I think
> that it was a big mistake to put every single egg in one basket.

I'm not sure what you are proposing. AO-40 was launched because AMSAT-DL
recognized that AO-13 would reenter prematurely, identified a launch
opportunity for a similar Molniya orbit satellite to replace it and built
one to fit the available space. Since they had more space available they
made the satellite larger so that they could increase downlink power and
allow more people to use the satellite. The inclusion of extra bands hasn't
made the satellite less reliable, but increased the possibility of a working
transponder in the event of failures.

The major limitation for AMSAT is the cost of the launch. To launch
satellites more often without increasing the budget means launching low
earth orbit satellites instead of Molniya orbit satellites.

73,

John
KD6OZH