Re: Right-sizing a sat [was: Antennas on the bird]

>From: "Margaret Leber (K3XS)" <maggie@voicenet.com>
>To: Robert Oler <cvn65vf94@msn.com>
>CC: amsat-bb@AMSAT.Org
>Subject: Re: [amsat-bb] Right-sizing a sat [was: Antennas on the bird]
>Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2001 15:06:43 -0500
>
>Robert Oler wrote:
>
> > I dont think that I advocated not building satellites.  I did say that
>our
> > goal should not be to "push" the state of the satellite art...
>
>Having "easysats" in LEO is a very good thing, and we do definately need
>them.
>But how long will you hold people's interest with the best they can do
>being a
>15 minute pass?

<<

I'm not even just advocating easy sats.  There is nothing "easy" (or hard
for that matter) about AO-10 even in its prime.  I am advocating less
complex satellites but more of them in a wide variety of modes.  I think
that it was a big mistake to put every single egg in one basket.

What holds people's interest?  I dont think that its measured simply in
"conversations".  Some people are attracted to the rag chew of the hobby but
I bet you that doesnt attract a lot of new comers simply because I think
that they can do it in chat rooms and forums like this a lot easier then on
the birds (and a lot cheaper).  My take on it is that what attracts folks to
the hobby today is being able to do something different then "talk" and to
DO IT THEMSELVES.

I dont think that it is in the amateur tradition to support satellites that
are on the cutting edge of the state of the art because this isnt the
amateur satellite hobby it is amateur radio.  In other words just because
supersats can be built doesnt mean thats where we should go.

Finally about our bands.  In my view I dont really care how many people
occupy them the instant that there is a commerical "need" for them we are
toast.  They would take 2 meters in a heartbeat if there was some national
commercial effort that needed them.  What I am reading in Austrailia about
the 70 cm band seems to confirm that.

Oh well back out to my favorite part of the hobby...working on antennnas...

Robert Oler WB5MZO Houston TX