Re: Right-sizing a sat [was: Antennas on the bird]

>From: Richard@g3rwl.demon.co.uk (Richard W L Limebear)
>To: amsat-bb@AMSAT.Org
>Subject: Re: [amsat-bb] Right-sizing a sat [was: Antennas on the bird]
>Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2001 09:53:34 GMT
>
>  "Robert Oler" writes:
>
> > What killed A0-10's computer and the orbital mechanics that tossed 13
>into
> > the autmosphere are well understood now (and I think that AO-10's rad
> > problem was well understood to...I just dont think that they could get a
> > better 1802) and have nothing really to do with the size of the
>satellite or
> > the magnitude of the program....or really my comments.
>
>Just for the record ... AO-10's 1802 is probably still ok (but thats
>academic).
>Its the memory which is shot, cmos 4116 chips.
>
> > I agree that stretching technology is a good idea
>
>Me too. But thats no reason to close down the beginners schools and just
>make high-tech devices ... but thats a different argument.
>
> > My

Howdy Richard.

I dont think that the two are mutuall exclusive...ie the beginners stuff and
the high tech stuff....unless one tries to much (a beginners sat with high
tech) and then its everything in one basket.  I am simply stating the case
for more not less birds and recognizing that this is going to make the birds
less "super sat".  Which seems to me that it would satisfy both.

Its not that much of a leap from Oscar 7 to Oscar 10 mode B and once one
masters that a 1.2 up and 2.3 down isnt all that hard if you have a Oscar 10
type orbit...or even the orbit we are in.

What it seems to me was the driver for AO-40 was lots of DX and with not a
lot of equipment.  Thats appliance operating.

BTW sorry bout AO-10 your right of course.  I love the 1802....have a few
still churning here at the house.

Robert Oler WB5MZO Houston TX