Re: Right-sizing a sat [was: Antennas on the bird]

>From: Bill Richarz <wricharz@infi.net>
>To: "Robert Oler" <cvn65vf94@msn.com>, na9d@mindspring.com
>CC: amsat-bb@AMSAT.Org
>Subject: Re: [amsat-bb] Right-sizing a sat [was: Antennas on the bird]
>Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2001 11:37:39 -0500
>
>I disagree,
>
>"Building" has always been part of hamradio....I like to build...built lots
>of amps,  antennas,xmiters, receivers, preamps,etc.  I would jump at the
>opportunity
>to be in on the building of an OSCAR.  If we were all appliance operators
>there would be no OSCARS for any of us to communicate through.  But then,
>I guess that seems to be the way the the amateur radio service is heading.
>
>de Bill, N4DH
>AMSAT #32372

Bill.

I certianly was not avocating "not building".  Indeed I dont think that its
possible to have ham sats without people building them (grin).  But the
question is different from projects YOU decide to build to advance "your"
state of the art and the projects the community deciedes to build to
"enable" others to advance "their state of the art".

There is a binary solution set here.  We can build really super
sophisticated big birds and have a pretty super sophisticated small group of
people who can work magic wth technology OR we can build more less
sophisticated satellites that encourage other people to develop their state
of the art and there ability towork magic with technology.

To my mind developing the later group is more important then developing the
former.  Indeed I would suggest to you thats what ham radio is all about.  I
started in Oscar 6 (well heard Oscar V) as a child.  My soldering was
clunky, the first helical antenna I built was a nightmare but my Elmer
nudged ME along to build them even though he clearly could have done better
had he simply let me HELP HIM build them.  He always made sure that he
helped me.

I dont think that it advances Ham radio much if we build projects as a group
that simply develop a corp of people who can build super satellites.  I
think that if we have satellites that develop a corp of people who
constantly experiment on the birds that helps ham radio and makes it
different from theinternet.

My analogy would be this.  It doesnt do any good to have the most super
sophisticaed repeater in the country if the people using it cant operate
their super sohpisticated radios.

I am advocating smaller and more frequent birds.  Not stop building them.

Robert

Robert Oler WB5MZO Houston TX