Re: Right-sizing a sat [was: Antennas on the bird]

 "Robert Oler" writes:

> What killed A0-10's computer and the orbital mechanics that tossed 13 into
> the autmosphere are well understood now (and I think that AO-10's rad
> problem was well understood to...I just dont think that they could get a
> better 1802) and have nothing really to do with the size of the satellite or
> the magnitude of the program....or really my comments.

Just for the record ... AO-10's 1802 is probably still ok (but thats academic).
Its the memory which is shot, cmos 4116 chips.

> I agree that stretching technology is a good idea

Me too. But thats no reason to close down the beginners schools and just
make high-tech devices ... but thats a different argument.

> My ultimate point is this.  IN the end the amateur community needs to figure
> out exactly what capability it wants in the satellites and that its willing
> to financially afford.

Thats the process Russ Tilman et al started off at the Maine meeting this
year. Its not a fast process but, hopefully, it will point the way(s). My
impression was that theres about a 50:50 split between folks who want the
high-tech stuff and folks who want the easier stuff (to attract recruits).
I see the same split in other parts of the community. Me ? I want both; not
just one; *deep* consideration is needed.

73
Richard W L Limebear G3RWL
g3rwl@amsat.org
FOC # 1188