Re: Antennas on the bird

>  > I'd say a more important question is, can it swing fast enough to
>>  track an object moving as fast as AO-40 is at perigee?  Most
>>  astronomical tracking drives can't follow sats in LEO, and AO-40 is
>>  going a *lot* faster when it hits LEO-like altitudes.
>
>It's moving faster, but the angular change (which is what matters) is slower.
>I use AO-10 as an example.  A perigee pass is 3 to 5 times longer
>than any pass
>of the LEOs.  Still may not be able to track it however...

OK, I guess I thought the perigee was lower.  Still an awful fast
angular rate for an astronomical mount though .. the NSA had some
dishes that could swing that fast, but astronomy units have much more
gear reduction for better pointing accuracy.  Plus, a big
astronomical reflector telescope would have a lot of mass to move
around .. I'd say direct visual observation even with adaptive optics
would be a pretty tall order.

Now .. if they could task *Hubble* for this .. ;-) .. just kidding, I
think the best look we'd get would be from something that could
rendezvous with the satellite and do some inspection passes with a
camera ..

--
<BGB>