Re: Right-sizing a sat [was: Antennas on the bird]

>From: "Margaret Leber (K3XS)" <maggie@voicenet.com>
>To: Robert Oler <cvn65vf94@msn.com>
>CC: amsat-bb@AMSAT.Org

The issue of right sizing a satellite boggles even folks like NASA so its no
real surprise that AMSAT and others are boggled with it.  I agree that AO-40
probably just grew...at least over the last 10 years thats been my take on
every article that I have read on it.  Indeed if one traces the history of
AO-40 with modest differences you see the history of things like Mars
Observer, Hubble, the ISS etc...but particularly Mars Observer.

In the end all this occurs from mission creep...an lack of statement as to
what the "goal" of the project is and then as long as one is able to cram
stuff into the bird then the stuff goes in.  I dont know if AO-40 is to
complicated but it did eat up a lot of resources and those resources were
not available for any other satellites.  Now launches are not easy to come
by (parituclary free ones) but they have been there and had their been
payloads they could have been flown.  What AO-40 did is sponge up almost all
the assets (talent/money enthusiasim) for any "mainline" bird and well here
we are today.

On the other end of the scale oare things like OPAL/Stensat etc..which I
think are trying to define "how low can you go" (to modestly Quote Steve
Ford).  Stensat may have been to small but gee it was launched by a bunch of
folks who spent their own money and ventured forth and in the best
traditions of ham radio tried soemthing that didnt work.  I am quite pleased
to see that they are back at it with another bird and maybe they will do it
this time.  The folks at USNA are taking a shot at finding out how small you
can go.  When we answer this then I think there is tremendous oppurtunity
there.

Somewhere between AO-40 and Stensat is what "corporate" satellite
development probably ought to be going after.  I realize that this is going
to chop people with no or small antennas but in the end two or three AO-10's
will probably advance the hobby more then one AO-40 particularly when at
some point (if we are not already there) AO-40 will go the way of all
satellites.

In other words imagine this...tomorrow AO-10 dies just goes away and never
returns (dont do this...) and AO-40 doesnt get better.  (OK this is the Dark
star scenario).  Was the decision to build AO-40 like it was a good one.

Probably not.  My belief is that this possibility is real enough that it
should have governed what we did here...and what we will do in the future.

Robert Oler WB5MZO Houston TX