Re: Antennas on the bird

Finding the target is going to be much, much easier than imaging
it from the ground, especially with optical instruments available
to amateur observers.  See http://www.meade.com/gallery/09a.html
for an exceptional example of an observation made with a 12 inch
Schmidt-Cassegrain instrument, which is a fairly substantial instrument.

But the real problem is that the atmosphere is no where near stable
enough to allow you to form an image with the required resolution.
This is also the reason why, even with large enough aperature, you
can't "see" any of the Apollo flags on the moom (assuming they're
still standing after the LEM ascent stage engine fires :-)

Now, there's some real interesting work that the DoD and some
professional astronomers are doing with adaptive optics, whereby
they deform mirror in real time (one system I saw was about 1K points
at a 20Hz rate) to "undo" this, but this is beyond what is available
to most folks.  You can imagine that the DoD has a capability like
this, and there's a story that they imaged one of the early shuttle
orbiters on orbit to evaluate potential damage to the tiles on the
orbiter.  Anyone got some buddes in the right agencies?

louie
wa3ymh