Re: Antennas on the bird

Gary \"Joe\" Mayfield wrote:

> <Stuff Snipped>
> > Richard W L Limebear wrote:
> > > Here's one I haven't seen anything about: Omnidirectional antenna
> failures.
> > > 70cm probably never worked, nor did 23cm. 2m only worked for a while.
> > >
> > > My own (fairly ignorant) suspicions fall on mechanical resonance effects
> > > during the powered parts of the launch when, I believe, they were
> dangling
> > > below the spacecraft. So, just like a piece of wire repeatedly flexed,
> maybe
> > > they fractured in-flight; some came off completely and some were so
> weakened
> > > that later effects shook them off (did the 2m PA have swr protection ?).
>
> <More Snipped>
>
> > finally said "I'm outa here"  :)
> > And then maybe the forces of the burn of the 400N motor finally did in the
> > 2meter ant....
>
> I was under the impression 2 meter telemetry stopped AFTER the burn was
> complete.  Is this correct?  Wasn't data received on 2 meters for a short
> while after the burn?  Peter mentioned 2 events.  I assumed they were the
> burn being longer than expected, and the system/commuincations crash that
> ocurred later.  Can anyone tell us how long the time between these events
> was?

I seem to recall that after the burn the 2meter beacon was weak and then
disappeared all together , but maybe my memory is shot :^P

My thoughts were that the antenna was "hanging by a thread" and then finally
"gave up" ....

dangit ! , to bad we can't just send someone up to take a look at it ;^)

--
Douglas Cole   N7BFS
AMSAT#26182 , K2 # 544