LCD display - off topic

The passive color LCD display on my old notebook just went dim over the
past week.  The notebook is about 5 years old and the display had been
working perfectly. The display has two controls, a brightness and a
contrast control.  The contrast control still appears to work, but the
brightness control has slowing gone downhill and now adjusting it has
little effect.  I kept the notebook on for 7 hours yesterday to see if I
could pinpoint the cause of the symptoms, and over the course of the day
the brightness control progressively had less and less effect on
controlling brightness.

Question: IS it likely the panel has gone bad or could it be something else?

I ask the question here because the broad knowledge of the members of this
list has never failed to impress me.

KB7ADL