Re: "Precision" Antenna Pointing (Was Ant. Comparisons)

"Steve Diggs, W4EPI" wrote:

> The end of this thread centered around tools to verify the pointing accuracy
> of beam antennas. Alan NE1H and I have been using a method that is both
> simple, easy to carry out, and produces impressive results. Bottom line: use
> the natural objects in the sky, your antennas, and your tracking software as
> a cross-check for pointing accuracy.
>
> We first heard of this idea last summer when a similar approach centered
> around using shadows at noon. Not so easy to carry out. However, the Moon,
> Venus, Saturn, and Jupiter are easy targets to use. The idea is to find the
> natural object in the late afternoon sky. Some daylight is beneficial, so
> that you can clearly see the alignment of your antennas. Set your tracking
> software (we use Nova for antenna control, mostly) to track the respective
> object. Go out and find the point on the ground where you can bore sight the
> beams towards the sky object and verify the pointing accuracy. Dial in the
> azimuth and elevation error into the offset values in Nova's rotator setup,
> then double check against multiple objects on multiple occasions. Using this
> method you can adjust your pointing accuracy with a high degree of
> confidence. The only weaknesses we can find in this approach is that rotator
> deadband and parallax error in sighting tend to reduce your ability to
> refine the pointing. The deadband acts to decrease the actual number of
> correction commands needed to follow an object across the sky, therefore
> reducing wear and tear on the rotor. Bad news is that says that your antenna
> is always going to lead or lag the object being tracked. Parallax error is
> evident when attempting to line up the shaft of the beam with the object in
> the sky. The beams don't point exactly at the object in the sky, rather they
> are on the same plane as the object being tracked with perfect, so you can
> only get so close.
>
> All in all, this method has worked extremely well for us. You have to find a
> natural object that is best for you, considering  its normal path across the
> sky, and the objects in your yard, general area, etc. that restrict your
> ability to bore sight your beams. Venus turned out best for me, as it
> appears in the western sky at least 1/2 hour before sunset, and I can get
> back at least 50 yards from the tower and bore sight at it, even at
> elevations as low as 20-25 degrees. I then double check against the Moon.
>
> This is one skill someone with AZ/EL control and a high-gain S-Band antenna
> is going to need to know how to do <very> well to make your system a top
> performer. If you can make your system accurately track a natural object, it
> will track an artificial satellite just as well.
>
> If anyone has a better approach, I would like to hear about it.

Thanks for the insight Steve , great idea , but I feel kinda dumb as I seem to
have a hard time figuring out the how to accomplish what you say , since there
are no "keps" for venus , or jupiter , so how can I tell where the beams are
pointed by pointing them at these planets ? , also I am no gun owner , and so am
not sure how I do the boresight thingee , especially if it requires me standing
behind the antennas ( they will be on top of my house if I ever get them
installed ) I have a very steep pitch roof , so I won't be hopping up there (
maybe some crazy youngster will do it :)  )
so is that what you mean, stick my nose behind the ants and make sure they are
pointed right at what I think they should be pointed at ?
But still , how do I know what that particular az/el -should- be ?
By the way , I don't run windows at home , so don't think I can run Nova , will
predict for linux do what you say for me ?

Thanks for any input :)

--
Douglas Cole   N7BFS
AMSAT#26182 , K2 # 544