Re: interference on 145.840 & 880

In a message dated 1/9/01 3:33:47 PM Eastern Standard Time, albelo@caribe.net
writes:

> I have two
>  data signals in the amatuer sat freq bandplan that I cannot identify.  They
>  appear on 145.840 and 145.880 Mhz.  The signals sound just like UO-11 to
me,
>  yet I know they are not that bird.  The signals are strongest when I get
>  near a large shopping area with many restaurants. (Pagers maybe??)

Hi Mike,

I'll take a crack at it......

Recently I had a bursting data signal show up on 145.8575. It turned out to
be my local power company. They recently started equipping their sub-stations
with data links. This one turned out to be on 173.23750. My radio is a Yaesu
FT-736R. It has a 2M IF of 13.69. Take 173.2375 - (2 x 13.69) = 145.8575 What
gave away that it was an "out of band" signal is that when I switched in my
mast mount preamp that has a helical filtered frontend, the signal
disappeared.

Check the IF's on your radio, and do some quick math and tune around with a
scanner and I bet you'll find it. Look for water tanks or electrical
sub-stations with yagis on them.

Good Luck

73,
Mike, N1JEZ