Re: Propellant fluid dynamics at zero-g

At 11:35 AM 1/9/01 -0600, you wrote:
>on 1/9/01 2:58 AM, Ulf Kumm at ulf@symek.de wrote:
>
>> As soon as the motor runs, the sat is accelerated and the fuel
>> will slosh to the 'bottom' of the tank, which is 90 degree apart
>> from the nozzle used while ignition.
>>
>> So, I still wonder how it can be made sure that propellant flows
>> without any interruption until the tank is empty.
>
>Wouldn't the fuel in a spinning spacecraft be pushed to the side walls of
>the fuel tank due to centrifugal forces?  In effect, the spinning motion
>creates an artificial gravity.  Correct?

Well, there's a resultant vector from the combination of thrust and
centrifugal force that points diagonally outward and toward the nozzle.  If
you look at the photos of the tanks, you'll see that the outlets are almost
directly along that vector away from the center of each tank, so they will
feed propellant until it's gone and the helium purges out the whole system ..

"Orthodoxy is orthodoxy because it won, not because it is true." -- Bp.
John Spong
 "Power takes as ingratitude the writhing of its victims." -- Rabindranath
Tagore
         Bruce Bostwick  mailto:lihan@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu