Re: "Precision" Antenna Pointing (Was Ant. Comparisons)

Steve,

The optical boresighting method is good, especially on small angular
objects like Venus.  However, your actual RF beam may not point exactly in
the same direction.  One way to determine this is by observing sun noise
and comparing your bearings against where your tracking software says the
sun is.  Now you can make small adjustments to your feed position to bring
the RF and optical pointing into agreement.

Many eme'rs also place a video camera on their system so they may visually
track the moon.  Of course that won't help track a small satellite.  ISS?

Another plus of tracking the sun is you can measure the RF performance of
your dish by comparing measurements of the amount of sun noise vs cold sky.
 This can provide you with dish gain or system noise figure.  At 10 GHz
there is even enough thermal noise from the moon for measurement.

I have written a program to calculate these parameters from solar
measurements and is available on the SETI-League web site under
software/spreadsheets.  The program is called G-T.

Ed