Re: Fwd: Re: S-Band Antenna Comparisons, etc.

>From: David Reinhart <wa6ilt@BellAtlantic.net>
>To: "Edward R. Cole" <al7eb@ptialaska.net>
>CC: amsat-bb <amsat-bb@AMSAT.Org>
>Subject: Re: Fwd: Re: [amsat-bb] S-Band Antenna Comparisons, etc.
>Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2001 19:06:56 -0500
>
>A few years back there was an article in the AMSAT Journal about using a
>device
>called a "smart level" for accurate pointing of antennas.  The widget is a
>hardware store device that gives a machine-readable output of angle.  I
>don't
>remember if it was analog or digital.  Now that we're faced with more
>accurate
>pointing requirements it looks like time to dig through the back issues.
>
>Dave Reinhart

If you find that let me know...I might start rumaging through my back
issues.  I've looked at both HOme Depot and Lowes for such a device and
while I can find one that "talks" I cant find one that has anything near a
PORT or something....the ones that have readouts are "high" (like in triple
digits)...but we can both look (grin).

I'm in the process of putting up the big dish to replace my 10 footer (well
actually its going to other things) and have looked at a variety of schemes
for pointing (right now its pretty manual).  The "happiest" and most
affordable scheme I have "playing" right now is a card with one degree
increments etched on it and a laser pointer read by a photo diode to
indicate 'degree' passage.  Pretty good so far.  Right now I am
experimenting with a second version of the card which has some "gross"
etchings for each quadraunt independent of the degrees.  Ages ago I use to
work part time on ACR-25 2 inch TV cart machines and thats how they got very
accurate readouts and the "cards" werent all that complicated.

But the talking level would be nice...

Robert Oler WB5MZO Houston TX