Re: S-Band Antenna Comparisons, etc.

I'm having difficulty picturing how a ribbed design can have more wind
resistance than a solid sheet. Maybe the PCS guy really meant total weight,
as I can see ice forming between ribs adding weight and wind resistance.
This assumes that both antennas are made of thin aluminum sheet. Most dishes
are not, leaning more to heavier/thicker aluminum to maintain the shape.
However, once the surface is solid, how can it produce more wind resistance
than another solid form of the same size........

I know my TVRO dish has the perforations which, for Ku operation, are RF
invisible. They do lighten the antenna but, at wind speeds above 5-6 mph, do
not materially reduce wind load. At that speed the wind cannot pass thru the
holes......

John Wilcox  NS1Z
871 Route 120
Rumford, ME  04276-3836
207-364-2246
207-364-2505 (fax)
FN44RN

> Your comment about reducing wind resistance or wind loading is
interesting.
> This is the conventional wisdom behind these.  However, I've talked to at
> least one cellular/PCS operator up in my area about these.  He hates them
> and uses solid dishes.  He said solid dishes have LESS windloading in
> conditions of heavy ice and snow.  He said ice build up on the BBQ
antennas