Re: ISS sighting

Dale, KF4SIR wrote:

Maybe we should start a tips list to help people spot the bigger sats.
So far what I have found is: look for a high pass 30 degrees or more at
deep twilight.
Look for the gray line on WiSP to be about 1500 Km to the east of your
location if you are looking in the morning and about 1500 Km to the west if
you are looking in the evening.
I have had great results spotting ISS and the Hubble using this and as I
spot more sats I will try and refine the gray line position some more.

Wayne, W9AE replies:

This technique may be a bit overwhelming to a newcomer who knows nothing
about orbits or tracking software.  As David, G4DPZ mentioned, the easiest
way to determine visual tracking opportunities for the ISS, MIR, and Hubble
is to go to www.heavens-above.com <http://www.heavens-above.com>  .  Look up
your location in the database of 2 million places, and it will create a
table of all the good visual sighting opportunities in the next 10 days, in
local time.  Bookmark the URL of the table and you will always have instant
access to the latest 10-day prediction.

This site even has hyperlinks to simple explanations of the terms, but I
don't like their use of the term "altitude" instead of "elevation".  Oh
well, at least it's extremely user friendly.

I have found two major flaws in the predictions:
1. It doesn't tell me when it's going to be cloudy!     : (
2. It also doesn't tell me how far I have to trudge through deep snow to get
away from tall evergreen trees that block my view.

Wayne Estes W9AE
Mundelein, IL, USA