Re: ISS sighting

At 12:07 PM 1/7/01 -1000, you wrote:
>This morning at 16:30Z (6:30 Hawaiian Time) the ISS rose
>from the south to a direct overhead pass. The sky was clear
>and the stars subdued by the coming dawn. The ISS had
>about the brightness of Venus as she rose in the sky. At about
>75 degrees altitude a most brilliant blinding flash exploded.
>It must have been caused by the solar panels momentarely
>reflecting the Sun's rays in my direction. What a sight !
>Can't wait to QSO with the crew!
>Happy New Year to all!
>73, Peter, NH6VB. ALOHA.
-----------------------------------
Hi Peter and the rest of the group,

I have also been looking for some of the satellites and I believe this
could be a good way to introduce new people to amateur radio satellites and
AMSAT.

Showing somebody one of the larger satellites as it races over seems to
really catch there interest.

Maybe we should start a tips list to help people spot the bigger sats.

So far what I have found is: look for a high pass 30 degrees or more at
deep twilight.
Look for the gray line on WiSP to be about 1500 Km to the east of your
location if you are looking in the morning and about 1500 Km to the west if
you are looking in the evening.

I have had great results spotting ISS and the Hubble using this and as I
spot more sats I will try and refine the gray line position some more.

CUL and happy spotting,

Dale kf4sir
--
Dale Coleman