Re: AO40: status

on 1/7/01 1:03 PM, Richard D. Burgan at wc8j@raex.com wrote:

> Remember that the spin up did not happen at the same time as either of the
> burns.  The telemetry showed the spin rate being the same before, during, and
> for 43 hours after the last burn.  The increased spin was first noted after
> the
> restoration of communications on Dec. 25, 2000.  I'm going back to look at the
> very last telemetry before the comm loss to see if I can find any change in
> spin
> rate.

Additionally, if you remember that Peter Guelzow stated that the control
team already calculated the change in spin rate to due losing propellant.
He said that it cannot be accounted for since there is not enough propellant
on board to spin the bird as fast as it is.

Here is his quote:

> The spin rate needs some recalibrating. The
> real spin rate appears to be in the range of 16 RPM (as measured
> by the doppler wobbling on the S-Band beacon). This is a substantial
> increase compared to the 9 RPM before the incident. This could be
> due to a leak, although the difference in mass (m1/m2 = w2/w1) is
> more than the available liquid fuel, thus the way how it left
> the spacecraft increased the spin too. Clearly, we need more time
> to analyze and understand what has happened here.

73,

Jon
NA9D

Jon Ogden