Re: ISS sighting

<snipped> from Phil's post.

>Since the solar arrays are probably kept normal to the sun at all
>times, I find it difficult to understand how your brilliant flash
>could be caused by a glint off the panels. Perhaps there's something
>else on the structure that did it?

I have seen a similar thing on several occasions over the years with MIR.
It's probably a reflection from a plane reflective surface like a window.
Perhaps even a highly polished antenna (aka Iridiums).
I've always understood that the coating on spacecraft solar panels is
designed to absorb and use light, and not to reflect it. If it were the
solar
arrays I think we'd be seeing the effect a lot more often that we do.

Bill ...vk3jt
Milawa Australia