Re: AO40: status

On Sun, 7 Jan 2001, MCGWIER ROBERT wrote:

> I have trouble visualizing it.  I have enough trouble with the leak
> along the motor cooling jacket. This is so near the Z spin axis that it
> would have to be pretty energetic to spin up the  bird the delta between
> the normal spin up due to decreasing moment of inertia (loss of mass)
> and what we are now observing.

But arent we observing a spin up of a factor of two?  and isnt the mass of
all the liquids and gasses on the bird equal to 1/2 the total mass of the
spacecraft?

So it seems to me that a leak of all volatiles, and the commensurate loss
of moment of inertia makes a pretty good match to the observation?  But
the only problem with this guess is that it requires loss of all of the
volatiles in all 6 of the tanks to get the necessary loss of mass....

But since the volatiles were already closer to the center than the rest of
the mass of the spacecraft then the actual change in the moment of inertia
will probably not be the factor of two as it would if the mass was
homogeneous.  So I agree that there has to be some reaction force as
well...

Oh well....

de WB4APR, Bob