Re: Linux. ----Off Topic----

Hi Norm,

On Fri, Jan 05, 2001 at 10:19:54AM +1100, Norm McMillan wrote:
> I'm running Red Hat 7.0 on a Pentium Pro 180 with 32M of Ram, dual boot
> W98SE. There are 3 other W98 boxes running on a 10base2 TCP/IP network.
> The W98 network works fine, including the dual boot. I have trouble with
> Winboxes accessing the Linux share. It appears in Network N/hood as a
> folder "public" in the machine "Norm", as expected. When I double click
> the public folder Win tells me
>
>                 \\Norm\public is not accessable.
>       The share name was not found. Be sure you typed it correctly

I'm not really sure why that is. In your samba config file
(/etc/smb.conf or /etc/samba/smb.conf or similar), in the [global]
section, what do you have security = set to? I use 'user' here and
it works quite well.

>From a DOS prompt under 98, try "net view \\Norm" and see what shares
are listed. There could be a problem with the capital letter in Norm too.

> When I try to mount the C: drive on  ..0.2 ([root@norm norm]# smbmount
> //192.168.0.2/c /mnt/share)
> Linux tells me
> session request to 192.168.0.2 failed
> session request to *SMBSERVER failed
> SMB connection failed
>
> I can ping all the winboxes ok, the winboxes ping the linuxbox ok.
> A few hints would be appreciated!!!

The problem here is (probably) that SMB networking has its own name
resolution scheme, and it can't really cope with you using an IP
address. (I'm not too sure about this one because I just tried
it and it seemed to work here!)

Try using the name of the Windows box, as configured in the network
control panel, and use -I to specify the IP as in
smbclient //winbox/c -I 192.168.0.2

If you have 'nmbd' running (part of samba), you might not need
the -I <ip> at all; it might figure it out for itself.

Hamish