S-Band Helix Construction?

Hi Antenna techs!
I have a question considering construction of a S-Band Helix. Somewhere on
the web is some JAVA-App to calculate mechanical dimensions and so on..
but I have seen several photos on the web with a helix being made of some
kind of inner tube and simply adding some turns of wire? What material can
the tube be of and the wire, especially wire diameter and material (solid
or what?). And are there any mathcing hints for the feeding? Any comments
would be very welcome, as this seems to me as a very quick way of building
helixes..

73s Achim, DH2VA