Re: Speaking of big ears...

All,

The Green Bank Telescope is a REAL antenna, that's for sure.
Speaking of NRAO
and Green Bank, WV....

I recall a couple of stories that I heard at Green Bank in the
70's:

On a cold West Virginia day while working on the prime focus
(the feed in Ham lingo) of the 140 ft. dish.  It was pointed
at the horizon and the workers were up on an access tower in
the cold wrestling to get some new equipment mounted. One of
the staff rolled up in a Checker (diesel car) and yelled up
that the local school had called and asked them to stop
yelling profanities over the speaker system!  They could
probably here every kid on the playground too!

Crews had just finished painting one of the dishes with a coat
of protective white paint.  Late that same summer afternoon
one of the astronomers up at Green Bank for his scheduled
observing time found his car "burned to a crisp".  The cause
of the fire is thought to have been focused sun glint from the
newly painted antenna.  After that a special paint has been
used on the antennas.

Hi, Hi...

73's de Rich Burgan, WC8J

----