Venting, spin-up and SMAD [was: AO40: status]

> On Sat, 6 Jan 2001, Bob Bruninga wrote:
>
> > If there is a leak anywhere inside AO40, it is just a big tin can with
> > lots of panels.  In such a cases usually one panel somewhere splits at the
> > seam. Once it splits, it relieves the pressure on all the others so that
> > no others will probably split.

Gee...now I would have thought that the spaceframe wouldn't have been even
remotely gas-tight; I hadn't thought of the interior as being maintained with an
atmosphere inside. I'd been picturing the inside as being vented to the outside,
with vacuum being the normal interior condition on-orbit. Maybe that would
present impossible thermal and environmental challenges.

That unconscious expectation probably comes from flying my Cardinal, which is a
highly-unpressurized craft also. :-)

By the way, I have to thank Laura for having repeatedly plugged "Space Mission
Analysis and Design" (which is evidently known in the trade as "SMAD"). I've
been home sick most of the past week, and it has been a *fascinating* companion.
It rocks hard.

 They've got a website (with online bookstore) too...definately worth a visit
for space cadets:

  http://www.smad.com

 73 de Maggie K3XS