10 Ghz Phase noise

> > What is considered... an acceptable amount of phase noise for... SSB?
>
> Typically on VCOs ... I spec them at 10 KHz from the LO. ......
> What's a good point for SSB/CW?  As low as possible?  :-)

So maybe we should be looking for a wider modulation that spreads the
signal over a wider bandwidth where the phase noise is not a problem.
With processing gain we should then be able to get most of the Singal to
noise ratio back?

Since ALL commercial hardware and surplus has this narroband phase noise
problem, I feel it is better for us to invest in a matching modulation
mode to be able to use this stuff as is, rather that requiring all of us
to be micro-circuit RF engineers just to get a downconverter..

Just a thought...
de WB4APR, Bob