Re: AO40: status

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jon Ogden" <na9d@mindspring.com>
To: "MCGWIER ROBERT" <rwmcgwier@home.com>; <amsat-bb@AMSAT.Org>
Sent: Saturday, January 06, 2001 12:55 AM
Subject: Re: [amsat-bb] AO40: status

> on 1/5/01 7:43 PM, MCGWIER ROBERT at rwmcgwier@home.com wrote:
>
> > Furthermore it is clear that it the increase in
> > angular momentum has occurred around the
> > Z axis since the spacecraft does not appear
> > to have an appreciable wobble.  The only
> > place I can see from a quick look for this
> > to happen is in the tubes that flow propellant
> > around the motor casing.
>
> Robert,
>
> I have more questions for you.  I thought about just sending this
directly,
> but thought people might have the same questions.  I'm not calling into
> question your knowledge on stuff because it seems to be pretty
significant.
> But humor my ignorance and my possibly "stupid" questions.

All thoughtful questions and you are reading the diagrams which is what one
should
do to come up with scenarios and then to tie those scenarios to
observational
evidence.  It is all we have to go on until someone tells us more.

I believe the damage is most likely to the cooling jacket of the motor or
we might have destroyed the entire spacecraft since as you say, it would
have pooled inside.   When the spraying occurred on the outside of the
motor, it spun the spacecraft about the Z axis, thank God in the "right"
direction mostly, and by normal dispersion (since we aren't accelerating
anything much but a spin axis), some  dispersed inside the craft
and ate at harnesses.  If the stuff had pooled inside the bird, through
the spinning, it would be working its way out to the modules and probably
eating away at them.    I hope we find that most of them still function.
They too are controlled by harnesses mostly, so we have to hope and
observe.

Lastly,  we are not asking or answering the major question,  the really
troubling
one. This system was tested under harsh pressurization conditions.  It has
to be to satisfy the launch authority with the nitrogen tetroxide or
monomethyl
hydrazine or high pressure helium on board.  They need to feel really
comfortable
that we aren't going to  blow up their launch vehicle and our fellow
passengers.
We do not yet know what caused the leak in the first place.  Nor do I have a
clue
as to how we will know unless and until command stations and designers
speak.
Something odd and unexpected most likely.

Fingers off keyboard, back into crossed for luck position.

Bob