Re: PLL Phase noise and SSB

on 1/5/01 11:23 PM, Frederick M. Spinner at fspinner@hotmail.com wrote:

> What is considered to be an acceptable and/or good amount of phase noise for
> a narrowband SSB (or CW) receiver LO?  Also, is the proper measure point 1
> KHz from the LO freq, or some other unit of measure, like "close in phase
> noise"?

Boy it all depends.  Typically on VCOs that I sell to my customers, they
spec them at 10 KHz from the LO.  But other people do measure closer as
well.  I don't think I've seen anyone spec close in phase noise, but I've
seen problems caused by it.  If I remember correctly, close in noise is more
due to the internals of transistors in the oscillator than anything else.
For example, while a BJT might give you good close in phase noise at 1 GHz,
a FET will most certainly not.  FETs have horrible close in noise
performance.

What's a good point for SSB/CW?  As low as possible?  :-)  I'll defer a
better answer to someone else.

73,

Jon
NA9D