Re: AO40: status

In my previous message, I said I thought there
might be a leak in the motor casing from the
coolant jacket.

This is another thing that should have slapped me
in the face.

It is clear we have increased  the rotational rate
as everyone has noticed.

Furthermore it is clear that it the increase in
angular momentum has occurred around the
Z axis since the spacecraft does not appear
to have an appreciable wobble.  The only
place I can see from a quick look for this
to happen is in the tubes that flow propellant
around the motor casing.   Given the nearness
of this to the axis and the fairly large moment
of inertia and the rate at which it was expelled
much have been pretty high.  I feel we have been
extremely fortunate indeed that the increase in
rate was in the direction of rotation we had already
established.  If it had not been, we might have
stopped rotation, solar panels not toward the
sun or long periods of no sun and this would
have been really difficult to recover from with
no attitude sensors in operation (dependent
on motion for a signal).  There might be other
places where we could have applied torque
around the existing spin axis but I can't see it
immediately.

Peter, thank you very much indeed for your
message.  We are wishing the command team
all the luck in world.

Bob
N4HY