Re: 10.0 - 10.5 GHz LNBs and upconverter-TX units.

Achim,

Yes I am aware of the limitations of commercial DRO LNB's, LNC's from
another of my interests: Radio astronomy.  A few months back a similar
subject was discussed on the SARA list {converting their use for SETI}.
They were determined unsuitable due to poor phase noise.  I had suggested
that maybe locking to a phase stable PLL would improve performance but
Charles Osborne, Technical Director of Pisgah Radio Astronomy Observatory,
professionally worked in their design in his previous engineering career,
had very poor results in trying to improve their phase-noise.  He suggested
that such efforts were likely to result in frustration, and that I would be
better off looking elsewhere for suitable LO's.  An alternative would be to
build a good LO for use with one of these LNB's.  The choice is whether you
want to hack on one or just build one from scratch.  My choice was simply
to buy a well built one :-)

I held of getting into this discussion to see what others would discover.
I have a Kuhne 10 GHz preamp and am very impressed with their construction
and performance.  You will not go wrong choosing his equipment though price
in the US is higher than DEM.

Ed