Re: dual boot PCs

On Thu, Jan 04, 2001 at 05:09:55PM +0000, laura halliday wrote:
> I've dual-booted Windows 95 and Linux for years. Now I
> dual-boot Windows 98 SE (I upgraded so I could play with
> USB) and Linux (kernel 2.2.16 with the USB patch,
> experimenting with 2.4.0). Always with LILO, installed
> in the master boot record.
>
> There are two gotchas: you must install Windows first
> (or be prepared to reinstall LILO), as it overwrites
> the master boot record. Additionally, all bootable

It's easier than that. If your Linux root/boot partition
is a primary partition (ie /dev/hda1 to 4), you can install
LILO into the boot sector of the partition, and make the
partition active.

Then after installing Windows, just use FDISK in Windows
to set the Linux partition active again, and LILO will return.

Hamish